less is best

I lived in a condo unit with a small balcony for washing and drying clothes and a sink for washing dishes. After being there for a year, I decided that I needed a space to do what interests me—gardening.  I asked around, and the owner of the school where I worked graciously allowed me to rent her place as she was not using the house at that time. 

Fast-forward some years, the house became a repository of things I had collected throughout, such as books, teapots, fish tanks, and plants.  It became my home for many years before I left work to pursue something better.  I gave up the house because I left work and soon found another one to stay. 

This time, the house was much more spacious than before, and this was where my family members stayed during their holidays.  Four mango trees gave me a yearly supply of mangoes.  I remember telling my siblings they could only leave the house once all the harvested mangoes were gone.  I had an equal number of potted plants and plants planted in the ground.  My dog used the garden for her daily runs, and she used to chase the water off the garden hose when I was watering the plants. 

Since I started my quest for growing plants, it has continued as I have accumulated more and more over the years.  I visited the garden centre weekly, bought some, and was gifted many to add to my collection. I  was already hoarding them, though some died during my care while others thrived and multiplied.  

I wasn't interested in just growing them. I was also into landscaping, making a great effort to display my collection in various ways every half a year, depending on the sun's direction. I was tired, but I was happy. The question was, am I contented? The answer is no. 

Now that I live in a forest, with the green viper as my constant visitor, I started to think if I needed more. Though there were many chances to visit the garden centres, I stopped. There comes a time in my life when enough is really enough. Now is the time to share them, as I am propagating more to share my plants this coming holiday season. 

Less is best when things are more in tune to be at peace


My garden visitor. 



Comments

yccos said…
I started my gardening journey when I bought a couple of monstera pots. I gifted the other one and kept the other and now, the leaves are bigger than my palms and it amazes me, I addes a few other plants. I also adopted a big pot on indoor pothos and I am still struggling to revive it but it seems to be growing new leaves and extensions. It indeed feels nice and this post is a reminder of its joy and of course, when to stop. I hope to come and spend time with you again in the future. I hope you are well.

Popular Posts