chains

I have seen this in my travels, but with a local twist: instead of padlocks, they are bamboo-tied together for luck and longevity.

This is a belief that when you write down your name and your partner's name, tie them up to hang, and say a fervent wish, the two of you will remain together for a long time.

I could have included the names of my friends or people I loved from the past, but I do not control destiny. Those people passed by to teach me life lessons: relationships, perseverance, patience, respect, and love.

If there are people to whom I wish to express my gratitude and thanks, I want them to be honoured so that they remain in my heart forever.

Starting with my parents, whom I still think of often and wish I could have given them more time, two more benevolent friends from work who passed away, Joan and Mia, inspired me to teach and continue in my profession. My gratitude extends to my former students and their parents, who continuously exchange words with me through emails or social media or have visited my workplace after being away for many years. I am also thankful for the love of my remaining family members, who we kept in touch with right after Covid. My recent visits to them were filled with happy thoughts.

Our relationships are not visible threads bound by chains, padlocks, or bamboos. Our relationships with people are connected by the love we give and receive. They may only sometimes be in touch, but their support is always ready to give.

Comments

Popular Posts