the invisible me
Before dismissal, I read a book to the children and often leave a word or phrase after reading a story. I picked a book lent to me by one of my student's moms entitled The Invisible Boy.
As I read the pages, it dawned on me that the book's storyline had very clear similarities when I was in my school grades.
Brian was considered an invisible boy because he was never asked to play with nor invited to sit together during lunch. He was never picked to be part of a group, nor had any close buddies.
It was like the main character of the book was me. I shared with the children that I was never asked to join a group, especially when it's about sports. However, it is different when it comes to academics. I am always asked to be in for obvious reasons.
Even in my older age, I remember being among my colleagues in school during lunch. They were talking about a recently held birthday party and then realized everyone except me had come or was invited. Or, the beach holidays all the educators in my former school went to and me, uninvited.
At the end of the book, Brian finally found two friends to be with, and it again reminded me of the only two friends who accepted me to be part of their company. I still remember their names, Demetrio and Marcos, and I will forever be grateful for showing me that there will always be someone who will, in the end, make connections.
After reading the book, I asked the children if anyone felt invisible in school. The answer was NO. Happy me!
P.S. Since I am much older now, I care no more if I am uninvited or excluded.


Comments