the 13th of July
Thirty-five years to be exact when I was asked by a dear friend if I would like to work part-time in a preschool. I applied, and it would be good to get some money as I was on my Master’s study. I entered the classroom and was greeted by three little children crying, and they immediately came to me and hugged my legs. I was accepted on the spot.
I became an assistant teacher for a year before I decided to work as a preschool teacher. After many years of working in different educational institutions and of varying educational contexts, I am still teaching young children. It might be a few more years before I retire as I am no longer as agile as I was ten or five years ago. Physically and mentally draining, my present school is the most difficult and rewarding at the same time.
These past thirty-five years placed me in different positions, controversies, challenges, and triumphs. I became a third-grade teacher once, a mentor to many, an OIC for a school, a country representative, a speaker, a trainer, a tutor, a department head, a founder, and a classroom educator. Overall, reflecting on how I am now and what I have learned through the years was very fulfilling.
I am still determining where my present standing will lead me as I am being assigned multiple roles while being groomed to be a candidate to lead a school. All I can think of is to be a farmer and live a farmer’s life. One day, I will be.
For now, a few more years to learn and reach out to as many as I can. Happy 35th year to me for being an educator.


Comments