gifts, big and small
Unboxing gifts one late afternoon was very exciting. It was the end of the school year, and some of my students gave me gifts as tokens of appreciation. I knew some as they were not wrapped, but two stood out from the rest, thus the blog.
I got a bread toaster from C and a Starbucks bottle from P. I also have a handmade painting from N and a backpack from T. I also got a shirt from L.
Whilst we were doing our very simple graduation ceremony, a mum asked me if she could give me her present. “I know you love plants, but I am unsure whether you already have them. I’ll get it from my car. Wait.” A few minutes later, she carried one plant from my wishlist, a variegated Albo Borsigiana Philodendron. I was stunned as I knew how much the plant cost. I accepted it with open arms and smiled as wide as I could. Since A is one of my favourite students, I will take care of this plant for the rest of my life. Maybe grow it well, make it a mother plant, and sell the babies.
There was one last present that came in later. It was wrapped with amazing artwork made by my student. The mother handed it to me and said, “It’s my husband and my child’s idea to give you this, I am hoping you’ll like it.” I didn’t like it, I loved it! I unboxed it at home, carefully unwrapping the paper cum art before opening the box. When I finally removed the tape, I was stunned and started to cry. I was given something that I was thinking of getting for myself but was pricey. It was an iPad Pro with a pen, and I was beyond grateful.
It would look like I am into material things with this post, but I am sincerely not. I needed a computer or a better working iPad for my work, which was timely. Until now, it’s under my working table, inside the box, still covered in its original package. It surely will be used when school starts again this August.
As I said, I was beyond grateful, and the family knew that. I was just doing my job, so these perks are added bonuses to my work as an educator. The last gift is the biggest ever material present I received through these 35 years of being a teacher.



Comments