Friendships and Food
Before the end of the school year, I was able to invite my colleagues from school to do a food tour near where we all live. It was a fun night as it was their first time to ride a motorbike taxi and it was a first time for all five of us to be together.
We started with Braised Pork in one of the smaller restaurant and after an hour of chit chat proceeded to the next one for Hainese chicken. They were smaller portions so it was just right as we were just trying the dishes that were available. We were so full we decided not eat anything anymore but go and visit a sweet shop. There we took some Thai sweets which were all to our liking. It was delicious. We ended the night with one bottle of beer shared among the three of them. Since we stayed for more than an hour in one shop with just one bottle ordered, we gave a BIG tip to the server of the restaurant. That night became an excellent venue for all of us to bond.
A few weeks ago, a friend coming from a flight from Bangladesh came to visit me. We walked through the main city and ended along a creek to eat some noodles. This side of Bangkok is famous for boat noodles and it was around 12 baht a bowl. Some could devour 12 bowls while I could only take 2. We tasted some of their noodles and were happy with the results. It rained that night but the camaraderie was intact as we reminisce our friendship of 20 years.
Recently, a colleague from work asked me to celebrate her birthday with some of her closest friends. And few meant having only six in this enormous apartment that she have. It was all Italian, food and drinks, and they were all filling and tasty. Homemade is really a great thing. But the highlight of the dinner were the cakes: a Pavlova, a chocolate cake and a blueberry. I downed on passionfruit tea as I indulged in all the sweetness of the desserts. There were also fruits served. I enjoyed meeting a diversity of people and hearing their stories.
With all these people, food was the connecting point as we shared a lot of stories: past, present and future. With the companionship, we spoke of our beginnings and celebrated our friendships. With these friends, I became alive. I love them to death and hopefully, I get to be in many more get-togethers in the future.
![]() |
| simple but filling |
![]() |
| noodles are always winners |
A few weeks ago, a friend coming from a flight from Bangladesh came to visit me. We walked through the main city and ended along a creek to eat some noodles. This side of Bangkok is famous for boat noodles and it was around 12 baht a bowl. Some could devour 12 bowls while I could only take 2. We tasted some of their noodles and were happy with the results. It rained that night but the camaraderie was intact as we reminisce our friendship of 20 years.
![]() |
| exquisite Thai delicacy |
Recently, a colleague from work asked me to celebrate her birthday with some of her closest friends. And few meant having only six in this enormous apartment that she have. It was all Italian, food and drinks, and they were all filling and tasty. Homemade is really a great thing. But the highlight of the dinner were the cakes: a Pavlova, a chocolate cake and a blueberry. I downed on passionfruit tea as I indulged in all the sweetness of the desserts. There were also fruits served. I enjoyed meeting a diversity of people and hearing their stories.
With all these people, food was the connecting point as we shared a lot of stories: past, present and future. With the companionship, we spoke of our beginnings and celebrated our friendships. With these friends, I became alive. I love them to death and hopefully, I get to be in many more get-togethers in the future.




Comments