of boats and me

Art brings the best out of me.  When I am creating something, there is a sublime feeling that I encounter as I use my hands and imagination.  One of the most notable material we use is clay and in this instance, the children made clay boats as part of a mini-project they were doing in class. 


It was heartwarming that many memories came flooding while we are doing the clay pieces.  One specific story I had was when I visited my grandparents in Nueva Ecija.  I was swimming in the river when a group of boys, of my age, were also in the water at the same time.  I overheard one saying to move the 'banca' towards the middle of the river which was the deepest part and by doing so, they thought of drowning me.  I dived down and emerged at the bank of the river watching them astonished as they found out I could swim. 




We are a family of swimmers and we like going to the beach.  I remember having weekly trips to a nearby beach, nearby being two or three hours away, on a Sunday to soak ourselves in the salty waters.  There was one instance that we took a motorized boat to be in an island but was met by strong winds and currents.  While the children and teens were cheering with the tides, the older ones were praying for safety.  When we reached the shore, my mom told us that our behaviour was unacceptable. 




Of late would be my favourite spot in Thailand where I got on a kayak gliding through the mangroves of Krabi.  We were assisted by a guide as the waterways were quite confusing.  The conversations between me and the guide was hilarious.  It made a mark on my mind because I was very much enticed to jump into the waters but I was warned of sea crocodiles.  I didn't see or met one but I truly believed in his stories. 



And just any other memories, a boat represent a journey.  Whether we are met with strong winds and heavy rains, prayers can always be a companion.  When we are sailing through smooth seas and sunny days, uttering thankful words and being glad for what life brings us become a joyful celebration. 

Comments

yccos said…
I have tears of joy right now as I know that you're back. I know you will be back!

*cyberhugs*
jonathan said…
Thank you for the tears of joy and it just shows how excited you are for me to be back.

I will also have tears of joy when I finally go there to see you, next year, ha,ha,ha!
Anonymous said…
Welcome back Sir Jonathan to the blogging world :) Happy to read from you again!
jonathan said…
Yes Simon and I am back. Happy to see you here, again!

Popular Posts