I Stood

I stood in silence as I stole a shot of the white bird with a camera.  Though some of the fowls were afar from where I was standing, a couple of pictures were taken as they slowly pecked food before turning to fly.  It was that pivotal moment, the sudden flight that I wanted to capture in photographs.

I sat in silence when I was riding the Skytrain on my way back home.  I was mostly busy reading the minds of the commuters concocting in my head the stories of their lives.   Most had sad faces though a couple was happily chatting.  A man, unperturbed by the halting and going of the train, was gazing out of the windows in deep thoughts.  I looked at him and realized that I am like him in my years and years of existence.  I was always pensive.  That still moment, of a man in meditative posture, was captured in my mind. 


I waited in silence as I wanted to hail a cab to bring me forth to my destination.  However, I was just looking unto all the passing vehicles without even raising my hand to flag down a taxi.  I was more mesmerized by the comings and goings of cars and trucks as I listen to the noisy sounds around me.  I was enthralled by what I was hearing, a discordant mixture of sounds.  In that very moment there was something different, a lively feat that my heart wanted to capture. 


I took a leap in the beginning of the year and my sudden soaring through this new found life was very overwhelming.  I am always in a battle with what is supposed to be said and done as opposed as to what should be kept private or hidden. But I became that bird, I was given wings to fly and soar I did. 


The man in deep thoughts is still around but now, his are of happy thoughts.  Suicides, failures and regrets are becoming things of the past where hope, faith and love become scaffold of a new life.  He learned how to smile and smile he did.   He is becoming more of a person, with a more positive outlook in life.  He is still in deep thoughts though, but always hopeful of what is to happen. 


Though still miles away from having a colourful life, I am beginning to feel alive inside and out.  I am not longer just a spectator, but also a doer and actively seeks for my own betterment.  To stand and wait for a cab to stop is simply vacuous.  One needs to act, to hail with his might, or even wave to find an empty cab to bring him home.  I did not just put my hands up, I also shouted and jumped, rejoicing to what I found.  The ride might be bumpy but I know that in the coming months and years, I have a journey and a destination.  


Comments

Twilight Man said…
Your post is rather unique, well written and well illustrated to make me understand that you and I are good day dreamers! I often have this habit to tell my wife that we should sit at the cafe and watch the world go by in Japan and China where the crowds are plenty. I would often stare at the Japanese folks waiting at subway trains and wonder what ran through their minds. I am sure we can read minds!!
jonathan said…
When I sit down along the shore, I usually look at the people passing by and make stories out of them. I usually portray them as happier people as I always dream that I am them. Their lives are like the one I wish for, even without knowing their backgrounds.

Yes, I do that when I travel as well. I remember sitting at the park in Paris munching on baguettes and plums, watching people passes by, and read their minds, as if I could do.

Later, I have many stories to tell. We probably are mind readers!
yccos said…
I am smiling all the way until the end of reading this piece. I am so happy that you have found love in the most unexpected moment and that it continually makes you feel alive.

Lately, I am taking more time to notice the things around me. No headphones, no books, or no daydreaming while taking my daily walks to and from school. I find it amusing to just look at people and there are even times that I try to smile at strangers then just walk past them, trying to figure out whats in their heads.
jonathan said…
Hi Cher Kat,

When we do that, taking time and appreciating short walks and small precious things, we are maturing. It is lovely to be able to read their minds, and lovelier to appreciate our lives when we learn of theirs. That we are more lucky, and happy in life because of our family and friends.

I am happy that you are moving forward towards your dreams. Congratulations again.

Popular Posts