The Bird Saga Continues...

Remember the saga of the birds in my attic? Now, let me start again by saying, "WT!!!" Is it happening again? What is wrong this time?


I usually go home late because I have many things to tend to. But one unusual day, I came home earlier. I walked around the garden and looked up at the roof to see whether a hole had opened again. There were still a lot of pigeons lurking, but I did not see anything peculiar, so I dismissed it.


But still, something was amiss: the smell of a dead rat. I am familiar with that smell because I lived in an old house when I was young, and we had plenty of terminated rodents thanks to my shooting spree. Yup! I was an avid fan of the air rifle and spent late nights waiting and hunting for them—but I digress.

I looked under the bed, over dressers, and in corners rarely visited by my vacuum cleaner. There was none! OMG! It must be coming from the attic. Once a playground for homeless pigeons, I thought one had been missed and left there to die. Pitiful bird, but also a pitiful tenant. The smell was killing me!


Mind you, the room is my dressing room, so all my clothes are in there. And when I say clothes, I mean a heap of them! Not that I’m a collector, but I never throw anything away—even if a shirt is old, worn, and tattered. I have an issue, got it? Okay, I’m off topic again.


So, with my nosy nose, I pretended to be a dog and sniffed every corner, side, and spot. It wasn’t visually appealing, so no photographs. It wasn’t under my suitcases or in any corner of the room, and I was unsure whether it was coming from above. I thought heaven smells good, so by my logic, it wasn’t from above but from below.


Now comes the stupidity—or mere miscalculation. Whenever I opened the door, the pungent smell was so heavy that I left the windows open—which hadn’t been opened in ten years. Crash! Ka-blag! Nah, it didn’t fall. Off topic!


The smell, my friends, was coming from the door, because in between was...






a GECKO!  Poor creature,  Grandpa Jonathan is now either into herpetology, roadkill or door kill to be exact or into pressing them to make bookmarks, want one?

Comments

Twilight Man said…
Waaah! Your nose is better than the dogs I saw at the Japan's airports that sniffed the luggage. You could sniff a dead lizard which often have no smell at all. So did you keep it as bookmark inside a book of horror stories?
jonathan said…
Hi TM,

You do not need a nose like that of a dog to smell it as it was so stinky I have to let the window open. I guess the smell started to weaken itself when the body started drying. Nope, I didn't do any bookmarks but will surely remember you once I get a 'victim' again.
Hahahaha. This reminds me of the time my cat brought home a "present" (a smallish dead rodent), just in time for dinner guests.

Anyway, at least you're rid of the smell, now.

yccos said…
I imagine you as Dr. Seuss on a book and I'm flipping the pages of that book while you tell the story. Hahaha..

You'll make a good Dr.Seuss on a stage play I think :)

This is the last kind of bookmark I would want to add to my collection.
jonathan said…
Hello Erik,

You have a great cat, and to bring you and your guests a present. Lovely!

The smell is out and you know what, as this is a saga, the birds are actually back, the real birds, pesky and all.
jonathan said…
Hi Yccos,

Theatre, how I miss it! I would like to be on stage again and your comment reminded me of my good old days.

And Dr. Seuss books are my first and foremost books in my collection. I still need to acquire some titles but for now, I am already overwhelmed by the sheer numbers I get to read to my class.

If ever I decide to sell my collection, I'll think of you, ha,ha,ha!
My good man. Indeed he is. I call him Lord Johnny. =D

Meanwhile. Don't mind me. Am reading you. Past posts, I mean.
jonathan said…
Hi Erik,

Thanks man, a friend read the entire blog and she told me she did it in two days. Have fun and be crazily informed of my writings and life's ups and downs.
yccos said…
Oh please do! Shel Silverstein as well if you have :) :) :)

Give me a couple of years as I am currently in preparation for a major career change :D :D :D By then, I am sure I would be able to afford it. Hahaha
jonathan said…
Ah, Shel Silverstein, only have one, The Giving Tree. I have other authors though, Leo Lionni, Eric Carle, Julia Donaldson, and one of my fave Mo Willems.

Ok, I'll give you a couple of years but at that time, it increases in value, ha,ha,ha!
bluedreamer27 said…
haha akala ko Sir may trilogy na talaga yung bird saga... spin off lang pala to LOL
kawawa naman yung gecko pero I know he is now in good place LOL
jonathan said…
Oo nga pala, naging follower ka rin ng bird saga. There is actually part 3 but I was able to stop the birds before even they wrech havoc once again. The house is probably falling apart or the birds are becoming more vicious. Kawawa nga yung gecko, hopefull this is the last.
Giga said…
It had a problem with odor. Congratulations on the successful completion of exploration, Regards.
jonathan said…
Yes Giga, the smell is long gone. And I have to make sure ni geckos lurk between crevices.

Popular Posts